Thursday, February 25, 2010

Flying high with a Fashion Icon!



Last night, while working my 'real job' - on my return to New York as we were boarding the flight I immediately recognized a fashion icon! Tim Gunn was standing right in front of me with a gorgeous smile on his face. After saying hello, welcome aboard... I decided to just throw out there... "If you aren't planning on sleeping during the flight, I'd LOVE to chat with you." He was very nice and replied that he wasn't planning on sleeping and would love to chat with me. Seriously? I couldn't believe my luck! But... how to politely bring up that I'm starting up my own business, and the whole nine yards while still being professional and giving good service to the other 13 passengers in first class?

After my services were "mostly" complete I was able to chat with him and his seat mate, just making small talk at first, then I brought up curlyQdesign. I always carry a small photo album with pictures of several past special orders, and a few samples. He seemed very impressed! Actually said that he saw me selling my items in Bergdorf Goodman! {And here I am nervous just thinking about selling in craft shows in the Spring.}

I gave him a business card, and he wrote me a note, and gave me his email address. You just never know who you may cross paths with! Who knows where this will lead? But it sure is motivation to get my buisness plan complete and really start marketing myself.

I'll be framing this card to hang in my craft studio.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Michelle! That is awesome. What a good reminder to DREAM BIG, girl - I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely amazing! I love him, he always seems so pleasant! It is nice to know that it not just an act, and how about the power of always having your business cards? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Who doesn't just love Tim Gunn? It was fate you ran into him. I am glad to hear he is just as nice off the show as he is on. This is true motivation for you, how wonderful. Now get busy, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is amazing! I don't think I would have ever had the courage to approach him - who knows what good things it could lead to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your blog in the etsy forums! Great job! I love tim Gunn

    ReplyDelete