Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mission Organization

Last weekend I decided it was time to overhaul my craft/sewing room. When we first moved into our home, this room had wall to wall DARK wood paneling. Our home was built in 1928, and almost all of our wall surfaces are either paneling or plaster (imagine painting an english muffin - with all it's glourious nooks and crannies)! In an effort to spice things up, I decided this was a perfect room to paint stripes on my walls. All I needed to do was prime the paneling, and I'd have built in lines without needing to pull out the level or painters tape! My husband lovingly calls this the "Good n' Plenty" room, the colors are very similar to the candy box. We just purchased a miter saw, and crown moulding is near the top of my 'to do' list.

This side of the room is my 'paper crafting' section, the bookcase is organizing my stamps, inks, card and scrapbooking supplies. It's also our mail center - I had to come up with a system for my husband to organize incoming mail when I'm away on trips. I don't know about you, but there's something that I just LOATHE about a pile of mail sitting on my kitchen table!


This is the sewing section. Before last weekend, I didn't have a real system set up for my bookcases. The plastic bins were stacked on the floor, and I had quite a few supplies that I rarely use taking up space. I took the lesser used items down to the basement and dedicated one bookcase just to fabric and sewing supplies.


An unused wine rack is now a perfect storage solution for my cricut expression. The wine bottle slots are perfect for holding my rolls of vinyl and stabilizers! I also love that it's more of a counter height!



All I need to figure out is a way to incorporate a cutting table and ironing station in here, too! I'm still using the kitchen table to cut fabric, and the ironing board has been set up in the guest room... one thing at a time, I suppose!

7 comments:

  1. Your work space is fabulous. I will be that organized one day. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, you are so resourceful and I love the colors of the room. :) Charity

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun space! There never seems to be enough room for cutting tables and ironing boards -- and all the other things our stitching requires!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great room! It is so organised and creative. You will have fun in there for sure.

    Best wishes and happy weekend,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your room looks amazing!!! I especially love the stripes on the wall and the colors of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me look like a slob...thanks a lot ;(. Thanks for sharing, great looking room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty jealous! A whole room devoted to your sewing and crafts - lucky girl!

    I like the good and plenty look :)

    ReplyDelete